Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Winding Down to Gear Up

When my children were in traditional schools, I would need to make request for the school work that would be missed during family vacations. Initially, this was not problem, but every year it seemed to get more difficult to get teachers to willingly provide the school work that would be missed. I don't miss having to do that.

We usually take our regular schoolwork with us during our 2-3 week vacation and have shortened school hours. (Side story: we use the S O S computer program for school and both children have laptops. I am an admitted web-head and so is my mother who travels with us. Imaging how *fun* it is to travel with 4 laptops as carry-ons! Having to pull them all out, while taking off your shoes and all of the other security measures!)

This year I have decided to try something different with note booking, nature journals and math. We also have a family tradition where we take several copies of a book that the whole family reads and discusses together... And we are an opinionated bunch! LOL! I believe that the kiddos will really enjoy doing nature journals as there are so many geckos, crabs and starfish that are caught daily, and our backpacks will be much lighter for traveling. A notebook, a pack of colored pencils and 1 novel. Aahhhh

3 days!

7 comments:

Holly said...

Ah the joys of homeschooling.
We have done SOS on laptops before too.
Listen, I know you left me a comment saying that you had written your story out and lost it but I would LOVE to have it so if you ever find time again, I am doing some research on attachment disorders and adoption. I have no idea where the Lord will lead me with it, but I love the personal stuff, not just statistics that are questionable.
God is FAITHFUL even through the pain.
Thanks!
Holly

MOM #1 said...

Sounds like some excellent planning on your part. What an adventure. 2 to 3 weeks . . . I may have missed it, where are you going?

:)De said...

Hey Mom #1,

We have 4 weeks of timeshares in Nassau, Bahamas. About every other year we go for 3 weeks in Nov., 1 week in April.

:)De

Life Adapted said...

Sounds like you have the perfect plan. We always love reading a book on vacation - one of our favorites was "All The Way Home" by Patricia Rielly Giff - also, "Lilly's Crossing", "Nory Ryan's Song" same author - and "Because of Winn Dixie" Kate Di something. . . we loved these because they are interesting for all ages. "Basher Five Two" is a must for your son, by Scott O'Grady. It's his true story of when he got shot down by enemy forces and how he survived with God's help. We also would bring some crayons with the paper with peeled off to do some rubbings of leaves, grasses and old tomb stones. I'm so jealous now!!! I want to come too!!! Have a wonderful time and be so blessed.

:)De said...

LA

We are getting on E bay and Amazon right now to look for it. I love good book recommendations. Please pray for us as we travel. I look forward to posting great pics while there.

Peace,
:)De

Anonymous said...

What an awesome teacher and mother you are! You got it going on sister!! I'm so excited for you guys. I expect full reports on the blog every day! (Ok, maybe not EVERY day!)

Robin said...

You are quite the teacher! I'm in awe of all you do and with all the good attitudes too. You deserve an award. Love your creativity too!