Thursday, May 7, 2009

Mother's Day Past

I shared this story with my friend, Life Adapted and thought I would share it here. I have a couple more that I will post too.

Every year as a family we go camping for Mother's Day. Many years ago I got a promotion to supervisor at an agency that I had worked at for 7 years. I had decided that year that I wanted to get my mother something really big, expensive and extravagant for Mother's Day. It was my 1st year of being a mother and her first year of being a grandmother and I wanted to go all out. I told her to think of something she wanted, but would never splurge on for herself. After a few days she came to me with excitement and said that she had figured out what she wanted. My mother wanted a porta-potty that she could have in the tent with her for camping..... A porta-potty! I took her to G*nder M*untain and bought her a porta-potty and she was so thrilled... smiling the whole time like a kid at Toys R Us.

Since then some of her mother's day gifts have included tarps, fire pit grills and wader boots. I tease her that she was so kind during all of those years when I was giving her sweet little cards and flowers when all she wanted was a can of worms and a rod to drown 'em with!

3 comments:

MOM #1 said...

A port-a-potty!! Are you serious? That's so hilarious! Family dynamics are so interesting and funny. That story takes the cake for me. It's a new one.

Miss Kim said...

I thought I recognized those boots...

Life Adapted said...

:)De, I love this story and they way you tell it. It makes me feel less bad about asking for a dumpster Mother's Day.

Be blessed