Friday, November 28, 2008

Our Thanksgiving

My immediate family is pretty small... Mom, Dad, 1 younger brother and myself. All of my extended family live out of state and we just don't get together like we used to. About 6 years ago, I asked my then 10 year old what he wanted for thanksgiving dinner and he jokingly said, "grilled cheese sandwiches and french fries" our then favorite meal. We kinda looked at each other and thought, hmmmm. And so our family tradition began. Believe me, I have heard much criticism about it, but it's what we like and it is fun and the kids love it and so do I.

10th grade likes his sandwhiches on the dark side.



I like mine a bit lighter.



The stars of the show.


A carrot and cucumber ribbon salad.


Hope everyone's Thanksgiving was peaceful.

4 comments:

MOM #1 said...

That is so hilarious and unique. I LOVE original holiday traditions. It's so much more meaningful than doing things just because they've already been done before.

I hope you had a wonderful day!

Life Adapted said...

I envy you - clean up must have been a breeze!! You'll never believe what I did - I put my turkey in the oven upside down!! I don't know how the bird ended up breast side down, but it was the best turkey we ever ate.

It doesn't matter what you eat, as long as you were thankful to be eating together. Sometimes it's the braking of traditions that create new, more meaningful traditions. I would love to hear your children someday tell their children, "Grandma made us grilled cheese and french fries for Thanksgiving dinner and I've got pictures to prove it!"
Be Blessed

SabrinaT said...

OK, that is a cool tradition! One the kids will always remember. Around here we have Chili dogs and fritos for Halloween.

MarshaMarshaMarsha said...

I have to say that I LOVE that this is your Thanksgiving meal! :)

Personally, I am a big fan of turkey and all the trimmings. What I am not a fan of, is the pressure to have it all on that one day!

I think if my boys had a choice, they would pick pizza. And if we had Thanksgiving at home with just us, I would totally go along with that. In fact, pizza is our traditional non-traditional Christmas meal! :)

Marsha
www.othersuchhappenings.com
formerly at homeschoolblogger.com/drewsfamilytx

PS I finally sat down again to go through a bag of cards and letters from last year. I don't remember if I ever sent you a thank you card, but THANK YOU for those frog necklaces that you sent after my son Christian (aka Dozer) passed away last August. Thank you for the wonderful letter. For thinking of me and my family... and for praying. Truly, from the very bottom of my heart, you have blessed me!