Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Pen Pals

For writing class this year, 5th grade has 4 pen pals. During the first full week of school she wrote 4 introduction letters to 4 different little girls whose parents are members of our homeschool group. The letters are checked for grammar, spelling and penmanship, corrected and mailed. She has had so much joy in receiving letters back that she does not even balk at having to do the handwriting piece! And I must say... 10, 11 and 12 year old little girls are a breed of their own. LOL. The letters they write are full of tales of ponies, ruffles and all things pink!

3 comments:

MOM #1 said...

That's such a great idea. I have an 11 year old niece that lives no more than 5 minutes from me, but I LOVE to write her letters and receive her letters in the mail too. It's so much fun.

Writing real letters is just about a lost art, with email taking over.

*SIGH*

Those were the days.

Anonymous said...

Oh, that is such a great idea. I am going to steal it and use it too! My daughter loves to write and I am always trying to find creative ways for her to express herself. This is fantastic. Good stuff!

Robin said...

This is my second attempt leaving a comment on this post - the first disappeared???

Love how you are incorporating several educational items into a "fun" project. You make it painless :)